Magnus M. Halldorsson
School of Computer Science, Reykjavik University.
After a secondary education in Iceland, I did my undergraduate at University of Oregon, in math and CS, from 1982-1985. Went back and worked as a software engineer for a year. Headed to Rutgers University, originally intending to get a master degree in software engineering, but ended up in 1991 with a Ph.D. focusing on approximation and online algorithms under the guidance of Ravi Boppana.
I then worked at Tokyo Institute of Technology for 8 months, followed by
JAIST for three years in Ishikawa prefecture in Japan. Since 1995, I have resided in Iceland, first at University of Iceland and since 2007 at Reykjavik University.
I have also had visiting or other appointments:
IBM Tokyo Research labs (1995),
Max Planck Institute in Saarbruecken (1995),
University of Bergen (1997-2000),
Kyoto University (1999, 2007),
Tokyo Institute of Technology (2005, 2013), and
RIMS in Kyoto (2009, 2015).
My main research interests are in the design and analysis of algorithms, in particular approximation algorithms for combinatorial NP-hard problems.
Recently, I have been focusing on problems in wireless communication, particularly on combining rigorous algorithms analysis with realistic models of interference.
Additionally, I have in the past been interested in bioinformatics and biological computing, and the sociological aspects of a networked world.
Online papers: Wireless Algorithmics --
Algorithms and Complexity --
My pages on Google Scholar,
News and Events
- WiOpt 2016, Tempe, Arizona
- BCTCS 2016, Belfast, UK
- Workshop on Cycles and Colourings, September 2015, High Tatras, Slovakia
- SOFSEM, January 2015, Pec pod Snezkou, Czech Republic
- Organizing a seminar at Dagstuhl on Foundations of Wireless Networking, jointly with Christina Fragouli, Kyle Jamieson, and
Bhaskar Krishnamachari, july 2017.
- Organizing SWAT 2016 at Reykjavik University, June 22 - 24, 2016.
- Organizing WRAWN (Workshop on Realistic models for Algorithms in Wireless Networks, July 29, 2016, co-located with PODC, Chicago, Illinois.
- Semester on Graphs, Hypergraphs, and Computing at Mittag-Leffner, spring 2014.
- Dagstuhl Seminar ``Algorithms for Wireless Communication'', Jan 2014.
Program Committee Chair:
Members of Lab
- Christian Konrad, post-doc, Oct 2013 -- August 2016
- Įgnes Cseh, post-doc, January -- August 2016
- Janne Korhonen, post-doc, from January -- August 2016
- Marijke Bodlaender, Ph.D. student, September 2012 -- 2015
- Pradipta Mitra, post-doc, 2010 - 2013, now at Google, NYC.
- Elena Losievskaja (Ph.D., 2009) : Thesis:
Approximation Algorithms for Independent Set Problems on Hypergraphs. Now at AGR
- Unnar Žór Bachmann (M.S., 2009) :
Online algorithms for t-interval graphs.
- Ragnar K. Karlsson (M.S., mathematics, 2006), Thesis:
Strip graphs. Now at CCP
- Haukur Žorgeirsson (M.S., 2005), now lektor at University of Iceland in Icelandic manuscript studies.
Some ancient stuff:
The best way to contact me is by email: mmh (at) ru is
101 Reykjavik, Iceland
tel. (+354) 599 6384, fax 599 6301, GSM 825 6384
Last updated 24 June 2015